94. M. Shahid, S. Bashir, A. Afzal et al., Synergistic impacts of composite formation and doping techniques to boost the photocatalytic aptitude of the BiFeO3 nanostructure, Ceramics International, 2021: in press, DOI:10.1016/j.ceramint.2021.10.039.Link
93. M. Shahid, S. Bashir, A. Habib, A. Jamil, A. Afzal, N. Iqbal, Fabrication of silica-supported Al-doped ZnO and its use in the elimination of the toxic organic ingredients from industrial effluents, ChemistrySelect, 2021: in press, DOI:10.1002/slct.202102291.Link
92. M.A. Ehsan, A. Rehman, A. Afzal et al., Highly effective electrochemical water oxidation by millerite phased nickel sulfide nanoflakes fabricated on Ni-foam by aerosol-assisted chemical vapor deposition, Energy and Fuels, 2021: in press, DOI:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.1c02186.Link
91. M. Irshad, A. Afzal* et al., Preventing SOx emissions through process control: Interdigital capacitors for on-site monitoring of thiophene-based environmental pollutants in oil refineries, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2021: 168, 097505.Link
90. A. Afzal et al., Rapid antibody diagnostics for SARS-CoV-2 adaptive immune response, Analytical Methods, 2021: 13, 4019.Link
89. N. Iqbal, A. Afzal et al., Molybdenum impregnated g-C3N4 nanotubes as potentially active photocatalyst for renewable energy applications, Scientific Reports, 2021: 11, 16886.Link
88. H. Xu, Y. Gao, A. Li, F. Ali, Z. Ali, N. Ali, A. Said, A. Afzal, Y. Yang, S. Ullah, M. Bilal, Fabrication and characterization of functionally graded vermiculite nanocomposite material: The role of curing on glass transition temperature and thermal stability, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2021: 32, 21848.Link
87. A. Nasrullah, A. Afzal*, A. Mujahid, P.A. Lieberzeit, S.Z. Bajwa, G. Mustafa, U. Latif, Imprinted polymer and Cu2O-graphene oxide nanocomposite for the detection of disease biomarkers, Measurement Science and Technology, 2021: 32, 105111.Link
86. A. Mujahid, H. Yaqub, T. Hussain, A. Afzal, S.Z. Bajwa, Reduced graphene oxide fabricated molecular imprinted polymeric layers for improved recognition of ciprofloxacin, The Electrochemical Society Meeting, ECS Meeting Abstracts (IMCS 04: Sensors for Agricultural and Environmental Applications), 2021: MA2021-01, 1533. DOI:10.1149/MA2021-01571533mtgabs.
85. A. Afzal* et al., Antireflective self-cleaning TiO2 coatings for solar energy harvesting applications, Frontiers in Materials, 2021: 8, 205.Link
84. U.Y. Qazi, R. Javaid, M. Zahid, N. Tahir, A. Afzal, X.-M. Lin, Bimetallic NiCo-NiCoO2 nano-heterostructures embedded on copper foam as a self-supported bifunctional electrode for water oxidation and hydrogen production in alkaline media, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2021: 46, 18936.Link
83. A. Rehman, M.A. Ehsan, A. Afzal, A. Ali, N. Iqbal, Aerosol-assisted nanostructuring of nickel/cobalt oxide thin films for viable electrochemical hydrazine sensing, Analyst, 2021: 146, 3317.Link
82. F.A. Abuilaiwi, M. Awais, U.Y. Qazi, A. Afzal*, Al3+ doping reduces the electron/hole recombination in photoluminescent copper ferrite (CuFe2-xAlxO4) nanocrystallites, Boletín de la Sociedad Española de Cerámica y Vidrio (Bulletin of the Spanish Society of Ceramics and Glass), 2021: in press, DOI:10.1016/j.bsecv.2020.11.007.Link
81. Y. Yang, N. Ishfaq, A. Said, F. Ali, Z. Ali, N. Ali, A. Afzal, M. Bilal, Fabrication, characterization, morphological and thermal investigations of functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes reinforced epoxy nanocomposites, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2021: 150, 105962.Link
80. N. Ali, F. Ali, R. Khurshid, Ikramullah, Z. Ali, A. Afzal et al., TiO2 nanoparticles and epoxy-TiO2 nanocomposites: A review of synthesis, modification strategies, and photocatalytic potentialities, Journal of Inorganic and Organometallic Polymers and Materials, 2020: 30, 4829.Link
79. U.Y. Qazi, R. Javaid, N. Tahir, A. Jamil, A. Afzal, Design of advanced self-supported electrode by surface modification of copper foam with transition metals for efficient hydrogen evolution reaction, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2020: 45, 33396.Link
78. A. Afzal*, Molecular diagnostic technologies for COVID-19: Limitations and challenges, Journal of Advanced Research, 2020: 26, 149.Link
77. A. Afzal* et al. Enhanced high-temperature (600°C) NO2 response of ZnFe2O4 nanoparticle-based exhaust gas sensors, Nanomaterials, 10, 2133.Link
76. U. Arshad, A. Mujahid, P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal* et al., Molecularly imprinted polymeric coatings for sensitive and selective gravimetric detection of artemether, RSC Advances, 2020: 10, 34355.Link
75. F. Ali, M. Waseem, R. Khurshid, A. Afzal*, TiO2 reinforced high-performance epoxy-co-polyamide composites coatings, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2020: 146, 105726.Link
74. A. Afzal* et al., Solid-state synthesis of heterogeneous Ni0.5Cu0.5-xZnxFe2O4 spinel oxides with controlled morphology and tunable dielectric properties. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2020: 31, 14261.Link
73. A. Khan, A. Habib, A. Afzal*, High permittivity, breakdown strength, and energy storage density of polythiophene encapsulated BaTiO3 nanoparticles, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 2020: 11, 1190.Link
72. A. Mujahid, A. Maryam, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted poly(methyl methacrylate)-nickel sulfide hybrid membranes for adsorptive desulfurization of dibenzothiophene, Separation and Purification Technology, 2020: 237, 116453.Link
71. A. Afzal*, β-Ga2O3 nanowires and thin films for metal oxide semiconductor gas sensors: Sensing mechanisms and performance enhancement strategies, Journal of Materiomics, 2019: 5, 542.Link
70. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, An overview of high-frequency acoustic sensors – QCMs, SAWs, and FBARs – Chemical and biochemical applications, Sensors, 2019: 19, 4395.Link
69. A. Afzal* et al. Polymer-particulate composites with differential interfaces: Synthesis, characterization and mathematical modeling to evaluate interface-yield strength correlations, Colloid and Polymer Science, 2019: 297, 545.Link
68. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted polymer-silica hybrid particles for biomimetic recognition of target drugs, Advances in Polymer Technology, 2019: 2019, 9432412.Link
67. R. Khurshid, F. Ali, A. Afzal* et al. Polyol- mediated coprecipitation and aminosilane grafting of superparamagnetic, spinel ZnFe2O4 nanoparticles for room-temperature ethanol sensors, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2019: 166, B258.Link
66. M. Irshad, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. A miniaturized electronic sensor for instant monitoring of ethanol in gasohol fuel blends, RSC Advances, 2018: 8, 22952.Link
65. A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Imprinted oxide and MIP/oxide hybrid nanomaterials for chemical sensors, Nanomaterials, 2018: 8, 257.Link
64. A. Mujahid, I. Haq, T. Hussain, S.Z. Bajwa, A. Afzal, Tailoring molecular imprinted polymers as biomimetic recognition coatings for anti-diabetic drugs, Proceedings of 17th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors, July 15-19, 2018, IMCS 2018, P2BM.6, 696-697. DOI: 10.5162/IMCS2018/P2BM.6.Link
63. A. Afzal* et al. Polypyrrole/carbon nanotube supercapacitors: Technological advances and challenges, Journal of Power Sources, 2017: 352, 174.Link
62. A. Afzal* et al. Gravimetric viral diagnostics: QCM based biosensors for early detection of viruses, Chemosensors, 2017: 5, 7.Link
61. A. Afzal et al. ZrO2 nanoparticles and their effect on strength and stability of epoxy polymers, European Polymer Federation Conference – EPF Lyon 2017, 2-7 Jul 2017, Lyon, France.
60. A. Afzal* et al. A collaborative effect of imprinted polymers and Au nanoparticles on bioanalogous detection of organic vapors, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2016: 231, 431.Link
59. M.D. Khan, S. Hameed, N. Haider, A. Afzal et al. Deposition of morphology-tailored PbS thin films by surfactant-enhanced aerosol assisted chemical vapor deposition, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, 2016: 46, 39.Link
58. A. Afzal* et al. Electrochemical deposition of gold on indium zirconate (InZrOx with In/Zr atomic ratio of 1.0) for high-temperature automobile exhaust gas sensors, Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 2015: 19, 2859.Link
57. I. Haq, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Developing imprinted polymer nanoparticles for selective separation of antidiabetic drugs, Journal of Separation Science, 2015: 38, 3469.Link
56. A. Afzal* et al. Au/In2O3 and Au/ZrO2 composite nanoparticles via in situ sacrificial gold electrolysis, Materials Express, 2015: 5, 171.Link
The article was selected to appear on the front cover of Materials Express.
55. A.F. Khan, A. Afzal* et al. (Hydroxypropyl)methylcellulose mediated synthesis of highly porous composite scaffolds for trabecular bone repair applications, Science of Advanced Materials, 2015: 6, 1177.Link
54. A. Mujahid, A.I. Khan, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted titania nanoparticles for the selective recognition of uric acid, Applied Nanoscience, 2015: 5, 527.Link
53. T. Naz, A. Afzal* et al. 2-Aminoethanol-mediated wet chemical synthesis of ZnO nanostructures, Applied Nanoscience, 2015: 5, 425.Link
52. A. Afzal*, Epoxy/silica nanohybrids or nanocomposites: An AFM and XPS study of the processing-structure-property relationship, Spectroscopy Letters, 2015: 48, 411.Link
51. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Tailoring imprinted polymers for selective recognition of fluorinated drug Sitagliptin, 22nd Winter Fluorine Conference, 11-16 Jan 2015, Florida, USA.
50. A. Mujahid, Y. Ali, A. Afzal et al. Rapid assay of the comparative degradation of acetaminophen in binary and ternary combinations, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2014: 7, 522.Link
49. N. Iqbal, A. Afzal*, A. Mujahid, Layer-by-layer assembly of low-temperature-imprinted poly(methacrylic acid)/gold nanoparticle hybrids for gaseous formaldehyde mass sensing, RSC Advances, 2014: 4, 43121.Link
48. A. Monopoli, A. Afzal* et al. Design of novel indium oxide supported gold nanocatalysts and their application in homocoupling of arylboronic acids, Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical (now published as: Molecular Catalysis), 2014: 386, 101.Link
47. Z. Rubab, A. Afzal* et al. Augmenting thermal and mechanical properties of epoxy thermosets: The role of thermally treated vs. surface-modified TiO2 nanoparticles, Materials Express, 2014: 4, 54.Link
46. A. Afzal*, Implantable zirconia bioceramics for bone repair and replacement: A chronological review, Materials Express, 2014: 4, 1.Link
The article was selected to appear on the front cover of Materials Express.
45. A.F. Khan, M. Saleem, A. Afzal* et al. Bioactive behavior of silicon substituted calcium phosphate-based bioceramics for bone regeneration, Material Science and Engineering C, 2014: 35, 245.Link
44. Z. Rubab, A. Afzal* et al. Preparation, characterization, and enhanced thermal and mechanical properties of epoxy-titania composites, The Scientific World Journal, 2014: 2014, Art. ID. 515739, pp. 7.Link
43. A. Mujahid, F. Amin, T. Hussain, N. Iqbal, A.T. Shah, A. Afzal, Synthesis of imprinted polysiloxanes for immobilization of metal ions, MRS Symposium Proceedings, 2014: vol. 1675, mrss-14-1675-rr06-32 (DOI: 10.1557/opl.2014.867).Link
42. A. Afzal et al. Indoor air monitoring with LbL assembled MIP/AuNP hybrid sensors, 1st International Conference on Functional Integrated Nano Systems – NanoFIS 2014, 03-05 Dec 2014, Graz, Austria.
41. A. Mujahid, N. Iqbal, A. Afzal*, Bioimprinting strategies: From soft-lithography to biomimetic sensors and beyond, Biotechnology Advances, 2013: 31, 1435.Link
40. M. Irshad, N. Iqbal, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted nanomaterials for sensor applications, Nanomaterials, 2013: 3, 615.Link
39. N. Iqbal, A. Afzal*, Imprinted polyurethane-gold nanoparticle composite films for rapid mass-sensitive detection of organic vapors, Science of Advanced Materials, 2013: 5, 939.Link
38. Q. Mehmood, A. Afzal* et al. Sol-gel synthesis of tetragonal ZrO2 nanoparticles stabilized by crystallite size and oxygen vacancies, Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2013: 67, 670.Link
37. A. Afzal* et al. Advanced vapor recognition materials for selective and fast responsive surface acoustic wave sensors: A review, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2013: 787, 36.Link
36. N. Iqbal, A. Afzal* et al. NOx sensing one- and two-dimensional carbon nanostructures and nanohybrids: progress and perspectives, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2013: 181, 9.Link
35. A. Afzal* et al. Exploring resin viscosity effects in solventless processing of nano-SiO2/epoxy polymer hybrids, RSC Advances, 2013: 3, 3885.Link
34. H.M. Siddiqi, A. Afzal* et al. Preparation, characterization, and thermal-oxidative stability of rigid epoxy polymers cured from aromatic mono- and di-amines, Journal of Polymer Research, 2013: 20, 41.Link
33. A. Afzal* et al. The effect of SiO2 filler content and its organic compatibility on thermal stability of epoxy resins, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 2013: 111, 247.Link
32. N. Amin, H.M. Siddiqi, H. Wazir, A. Afzal, A. Habib, Synthesis and characterization of epoxies blend-TiO2 nanocomposites, Conference on Emerging Materials, 22-24 Aug 2013, Islamabad, Pakistan.
31. A. Afzal* et al. NOx sensors based on semiconducting metal oxide nanostructures: progress and perspectives, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2012: 171-172, 25.Link
The article was listed among the Top 25 Sensors & Actuators B hot articles of the year 2012.
30. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Structurally modified poly(vinyl alcohol) ionic composites as efficient humidity indicators, Polymer Composites, 2012: 33, 1018.Link
29. Q. Mahmood, A. Afzal et al. Size- and shape-controlled synthesis of phase pure ZrO2 nanoparticles via sol-gel method, Pak-US Workshop on Applications of Nanotechnology, 29-30 May 2012, Karachi, Pakistan.
First prize and the Best Poster award at Pak-US Workshop on Applications of Nanotechnology.
28. A. Afzal* et al. AFM substantiation of the fracture behavior and mechanical properties of sol-gel derived silica packed epoxy networks, Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2012: 61, 44.Link
27. M. Faheem, A. Afzal et al. Template directed synthesis, growth, and assembly of ZnO nanoparticles to flower-like ZnO nanorods, National Symposium on Frontiers in Nanotechnology, 19th May 2012, Islamabad, Pakistan.
26. Q. Mahmood, A. Afzal et al. Sol-gel synthesis and characterization of phase-pure tetragonal ZrO2 nanoparticles, National Symposium on Frontiers in Nanotechnology, 19th May 2012, Islamabad, Pakistan.
25. A. Afzal* et al. The influence of epoxy functionalized silica nanoparticles on stress dispersion and crack resistance in epoxy-based hybrids, Materials Express, 2011: 1, 299.Link
24. T. Nazir, A. Afzal* et al. The influence of temperature and interface strength on microstructure and performance of sol-gel silica-epoxy nanocomposites, Polymer Bulletin, 2011: 67, 1539.Link
23. U. Latif, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Dual and tetra electrode QCMs using imprinted polymers as receptors for ions and neutral analytes, Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2011: 400, 2507.Link
22. A. Afzal*, H.M. Siddiqi, A comprehensive study of the bicontinuous epoxy-silica hybrid polymers: I. Synthesis, characterization and glass transition, Polymer, 2011: 52, 1345.Link
21. A. Afzal et al. Core-shell gold nanoparticles and gold-decorated metal oxides for gas sensing applications, Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Workshop on Advances in Sensors and Interfaces, 2011: p. 125-128 (DOI: 10.1109/IWASI.2011.6004701).Link
20. A. Elia, C. Di Franco, A. Afzal et al. Advanced NOx sensors for mechatronic applications. In: Advances in Mechatronics, edited by H. Martinez-Alfaro, 2011: p. 247-270. InTech Open, Croatia (ISBN: 9789533073736).
19. A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Surface acoustic wave (SAW) sensors for chemical applications. In: Chemical Sensors: Comprehensive Sensor Technology, Vol. 4: Solid-State Sensors, edited by G. Korotcenkov, 2011: p. 447-485. Momentum Press, New Jersey, USA (ISBN: 9781606502334).
18. M. Atta, H.M. Siddiqi, A. Afzal, A. Habib, Synthesis and characterization of epoxy-amine-titania composites using glycidoxypropyl-trimethoxysilane as a coupling agent, 10th International and 22nd National Chemistry Conference, 21-23 Nov 2011, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
17. A. Afzal et al. Synthesis and characterization of composite nanomaterials for NOx sensors, XXIV National Congress of the Italian Chemical Society, 11-16 Sep 2011, Lecce, Italy.
16. A. Afzal et al. Synthesis and characterization of novel nanomaterials for NOx sensors, 6th Conference on Analytical Sciences, 21-22 Feb 2011, Dublin, Ireland.
15. H.M. Siddiqi, T. Nazir, A. Afzal et al. Metal oxide/epoxy-amine hybrids: Synthesis, morphology and thermal properties, 9th International and 21st National Chemistry Conference, 7-9 Feb 2011, Karachi, Pakistan.
14. T. Nazir, A. Afzal et al. Thermally and mechanically superior hybrid epoxy-silica polymer films via sol-gel method, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2010: 69, 100.Link
13. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Imprinted sol-gel materials for monitoring degradation products in automotive oils by shear transverse wave, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2010: 675, 53.Link
12. A. Afzal et al. Thermo-mechanical property benefits of chemically bonded interpenetrating epoxy-silica hybrid materials, Frontiers in Polymer Science, 7-9 Jun 2009, Mainz, Germany.
11. A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Imprinting – a nanotechnology for chemical sensors. In: Nanotechnological Applications of Novel Polymers, edited by M. Adeli, 2009: 37/661 (2). Transworld Research Network, Kerala, India (ISBN: 9788178954127).
10. P.A. Lieberzeit, K. Halikias, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Polymers imprinted with PAH mixtures – comparing fluorescence and QCM sensors, Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2008: 392, 1405.Link
9. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Bioanalogous recognition with sol-gel thin films and nanoparticles in harsh environments. MRS Symposium Proceedings, 2008: vol. 1094E, DD05-08 (DOI: 10.1557/PROC-1094-DD05-08).Link
8. A. Afzal et al. Detection of cells and viruses with mass-sensitive devices – applications of synthetic antibodies. In: Commercial and Pre-Commercial Cell Detection Technologies for Defense against Bioterror – Technology, Market, and Society, edited by LM. Lechuga, FP. Milanovich, P. Skládal, O. Ignatov, 2008: 39/60-76. IOS Press, Amsterdam, Netherlands (ISBN: 9781586038588).
7. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Nanoparticles for detecting pollutants and degradation processes with mass-sensitive sensors, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2007: 127, 132.Link
6. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted sol-gel nanoparticles for mass-sensitive engine oil degradation sensing, Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2007: 389, 441.Link
5. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Printing materials in micro-and nano-scale systems for process control, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2007: 126, 153.Link
4. P.A. Lieberzeit, G. Glanzing, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Nano-strukturierte sensormaterialien für die Überwachung oxidativer Abbauprozesse in Motorenölen, Anakon, 27-30 Mar 2007, Jena, Germany.
3. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Nanoparticles for detecting pollutants and degradation processes with mass-sensitive sensors, 20th Eurosensors Conference, 17-20 Sep 2006, Goeteborg, Sweden.
2. P.A. Lieberzeit, G. Glanzing, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Nanostrategies to monitor oil degradation, International Congress on Analytical Sciences, 25-30 Jun 2006, Moscow, Russia.
1. A. Afzal et al. Synthesis and characterization of epoxy-based interpenetrating organic-inorganic hybrid materials, 5th International and 15th National Chemistry Conference, 24-27 Nov 2004, Islamabad, Pakistan.