81. F.A. Abuilaiwi, M. Awais, U.Y. Qazi, F. Ali, A. Afzal*, Al3+ doping reduces the electron/hole recombination in photoluminescent copper ferrite (CuFe2-xAlxO4) nanocrystallites, Boletín de la Sociedad Española de Cerámica y Vidrio (Bulletin of the Spanish Society of Ceramics and Glass), 2020: under review.
80. Y. Yang, N. Ishfaq, A. Said, F. Ali, Z. Ali, N. Ali, M. Bilal, A. Afzal, Fabrication, characterization, morphological and thermal investigations of functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes reinforced epoxy nanocomposites, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2020: under review.
79. U.Y. Qazi, R. Javaid, N. Tahir, A. Afzal, Design of advanced self-supported electrode by surface modification of copper foam with transition metals for efficient hydrogen evolution reaction, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2020: in press.
78. U. Arshad, A. Mujahid, P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal* et al., Molecularly imprinted polymeric coatings for sensitive and selective gravimetric detection of artemether, RSC Advances, 2020: in press.
77. A. Afzal*, Molecular diagnostic technologies for COVID-19: Limitations and challenges, Journal of Advanced Research, 2020: in press. DOI: 10.1016/j.jare.2020.08.002.
76. N. Ali, F. Ali, R. Khurshid, Ikramullah, Z. Ali, A. Afzal et al., TiO2 nanoparticles and epoxy-TiO2 nanocomposites: A review of synthesis, modification strategies, and photocatalytic potentialities, Journal of Inorganic and Organometallic Polymers and Materials, 2020: in press. DOI: 10.1007/s10904-020-01668-6.
75. A. Afzal* et al., Solid-state synthesis of heterogeneous Ni0.5Cu0.5-xZnxFe2O4 spinel oxides with controlled morphology and tunable dielectric properties. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2020: 31, 14261.
74. A. Khan, A. Habib, A. Afzal*, High permittivity, breakdown strength, and energy storage density of polythiophene encapsulated BaTiO3 nanoparticles, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 2020: 11, 1190.
73. F. Ali, M. Waseem, R. Khurshid, A. Afzal*, TiO2 reinforced high-performance epoxy-co-polyamide composites coatings, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2020: 146, 105726.
72. A. Mujahid, A. Maryam, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted poly(methyl methacrylate)-nickel sulfide hybrid membranes for adsorptive desulfurization of dibenzothiophene, Separation and Purification Technology, 2020: 237, 116453.
71. A. Afzal*, β-Ga2O3 nanowires and thin films for metal oxide semiconductor gas sensors: Sensing mechanisms and performance enhancement strategies, Journal of Materiomics, 2019: 5, 542.
70. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, An overview of high-frequency acoustic sensors – QCMs, SAWs, and FBARs – Chemical and biochemical applications, Sensors, 2019: 19, 4395.
69. R. Khurshid, F. Ali, A. Afzal* et al. Polyol- mediated coprecipitation and aminosilane grafting of superparamagnetic, spinel ZnFe2O4 nanoparticles for room-temperature ethanol sensors, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2019: 166, B258.
68. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted polymer-silica hybrid particles for biomimetic recognition of target drugs, Advances in Polymer Technology, 2019: 2019, 9432412.
67. A. Afzal* et al. Polymer-particulate composites with differential interfaces: Synthesis, characterization and mathematical modeling to evaluate interface-yield strength correlations, Colloid and Polymer Science, 2019: 297, 545.
66. M. Irshad, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. A miniaturized electronic sensor for instant monitoring of ethanol in gasohol fuel blends, RSC Advances, 2018: 8, 22952.
65. A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Imprinted oxide and MIP/oxide hybrid nanomaterials for chemical sensors, Nanomaterials, 2018: 8, 257.
64. A. Mujahid, I. Haq, T. Hussain, S.Z. Bajwa, A. Afzal, Tailoring molecular imprinted polymers as biomimetic recognition coatings for anti-diabetic drugs, Proceedings of 17th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors, July 15-19, 2018, IMCS 2018, P2BM.6, 696-697. DOI: 10.5162/IMCS2018/P2BM.6.
63. A. Afzal* et al. Polypyrrole/carbon nanotube supercapacitors: Technological advances and challenges, Journal of Power Sources, 2017: 352, 174.
62. A. Afzal* et al. Gravimetric viral diagnostics: QCM based biosensors for early detection of viruses, Chemosensors, 2017: 5, 7.
61. A. Afzal et al. ZrO2 nanoparticles and their effect on strength and stability of epoxy polymers, European Polymer Federation Conference – EPF Lyon 2017, 2-7 Jul 2017, Lyon, France.
60. A. Afzal* et al. A collaborative effect of imprinted polymers and Au nanoparticles on bioanalogous detection of organic vapors, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2016: 231, 431.
59. M.D. Khan, S. Hameed, N. Haider, A. Afzal et al. Deposition of morphology-tailored PbS thin films by surfactant-enhanced aerosol assisted chemical vapor deposition, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, 2016: 46, 39.
58. I. Haq, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Developing imprinted polymer nanoparticles for selective separation of antidiabetic drugs, Journal of Separation Science, 2015: 38, 3469.
57. A. Afzal* et al. Electrochemical deposition of gold on indium zirconate (InZrOx with In/Zr atomic ratio of 1.0) for high temperature automobile exhaust gas sensors, Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 2015: 19, 2859.
56. A. Mujahid, A.I. Khan, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted titania nanoparticles for the selective recognition of uric acid, Applied Nanoscience, 2015: 5, 527.
55. A. Afzal* et al. Au/In2O3 and Au/ZrO2 composite nanoparticles via in situ sacrificial gold electrolysis, Materials Express, 2015: 5, 171.
Article selected to appear on the front cover of Materials Express.
54. T. Naz, A. Afzal* et al. 2-Aminoethanol-mediated wet chemical synthesis of ZnO nanostructures, Applied Nanoscience, 2015: 5, 425.
53. A.F. Khan, A. Afzal* et al. (Hydroxypropyl)methylcellulose mediated synthesis of highly porous composite scaffolds for trabecular bone repair applications, Science of Advanced Materials, 2015: 6, 1177.
52. A. Afzal*, Epoxy/silica nanohybrids or nanocomposites: An AFM and XPS study of the processing-structure-property relationship, Spectroscopy Letters, 2015: 48, 411.
51. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Tailoring imprinted polymers for selective recognition of fluorinated drug Sitagliptin, 22nd Winter Fluorine Conference, 11-16 Jan 2015, Florida, USA.
50. N. Iqbal, A. Afzal*, A. Mujahid, Layer-by-layer assembly of low-temperature-imprinted poly(methacrylic acid)/gold nanoparticle hybrids for gaseous formaldehyde mass sensing, RSC Advances, 2014: 4, 43121.
49. A. Monopoli, A. Afzal* et al. Design of novel indium oxide supported gold nanocatalysts and their application in homocoupling of arylboronic acids, Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, 2014: 386, 101.
48. A. Afzal*, Implantable zirconia bioceramics for bone repair and replacement: A chronological review, Materials Express, 2014: 4, 1.
Article selected to appear on the front cover of Materials Express.
47. Z. Rubab, A. Afzal* et al. Augmenting thermal and mechanical properties of epoxy thermosets: The role of thermally treated vs. surface modified TiO2 nanoparticles, Materials Express, 2014: 4, 54.
46. A.F. Khan, M. Saleem, A. Afzal* et al. Bioactive behavior of silicon substituted calcium phosphate based bioceramics for bone regeneration, Material Science and Engineering C, 2014: 35, 245.
45. Z. Rubab, A. Afzal* et al. Preparation, characterization, and enhanced thermal and mechanical properties of epoxy-titania composites, The Scientific World Journal, 2014: 2014, Art. ID. 515739, pp. 7.
44. A. Mujahid, Y. Ali, A. Afzal et al. Rapid assay of the comparative degradation of acetaminophen in binary and ternary combinations, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2014: 7, 522.
43. A. Mujahid, F. Amin, T. Hussain, N. Iqbal, A.T. Shah, A. Afzal, Synthesis of imprinted polysiloxanes for immobilization of metal ions, MRS Symposium Proceedings, 2014: vol. 1675, mrss-14-1675-rr06-32 (DOI: 10.1557/opl.2014.867).
42. A. Afzal et al. Indoor air monitoring with LbL assembled MIP/AuNP hybrid sensors, 1st International Conference on Functional Integrated Nano Systems – NanoFIS 2014, 03-05 Dec 2014, Graz, Austria.
41. M. Irshad, N. Iqbal, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted nanomaterials for sensor applications, Nanomaterials, 2013: 3, 615.
40. A. Mujahid, N. Iqbal, A. Afzal*, Bioimprinting strategies: From soft-lithography to biomimetic sensors and beyond, Biotechnology Advances, 2013: 31, 1435.
39. Q. Mehmood, A. Afzal* et al. Sol gel synthesis of tetragonal ZrO2 nanoparticles stabilized by crystallite size and oxygen vacancies, Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2013: 67, 670.
38. N. Iqbal, A. Afzal*, Imprinted polyurethane-gold nanoparticle composite films for rapid mass-sensitive detection of organic vapors, Science of Advanced Materials, 2013: 5, 939.
37. A. Afzal* et al. Advanced vapor recognition materials for selective and fast responsive surface acoustic wave sensors: A review, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2013: 787, 36.
36. N. Iqbal, A. Afzal* et al. NOx sensing one- and two-dimensional carbon nanostructures and nanohybrids: progress and perspectives, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2013: 181, 9.
35. A. Afzal* et al. Exploring resin viscosity effects in solventless processing of nano-SiO2/epoxy polymer hybrids, RSC Advances, 2013: 3, 3885.
34. H.M. Siddiqi, A. Afzal* et al. Preparation, characterization and thermal oxidative stability of rigid epoxy polymers cured from aromatic mono- and di-amines, Journal of Polymer Research, 2013: 20, 41.
33. A. Afzal* et al. The effect of SiO2 filler content and its organic compatibility on thermal stability of epoxy resins, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 2013: 111, 247.
32. N. Amin, H.M. Siddiqi, H. Wazir, A. Afzal, A. Habib, Synthesis and characterization of epoxies blend-TiO2 nanocomposites, Conference on Emerging Materials, 22-24 Aug 2013, Islamabad, Pakistan.
31. A. Afzal* et al. NOx sensors based on semiconducting metal oxide nanostructures: progress and perspectives, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2012: 171-172, 25.
Article among Top 25 Sensors & Actuators B hot articles of the year 2012.
30. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Structurally modified poly(vinyl alcohol) ionic composites as efficient humidity indicators, Polymer Composites, 2012: 33, 1018.
29. A. Afzal* et al. AFM substantiation of the fracture behavior and mechanical properties of sol-gel derived silica packed epoxy networks, Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2012: 61, 44.
28. Q. Mahmood, A. Afzal et al. Size- and shape- controlled synthesis of phase pure ZrO2 nanoparticles via sol-gel method, Pak-US Workshop on Applications of Nanotechnology, 29-30 May 2012, Karachi, Pakistan.
First prize and the Best Poster award at Pak-US Workshop on Applications of Nanotechnology.
27. M. Faheem, A. Afzal et al. Template directed synthesis, growth and assembly of ZnO nanoparticles to flower-like ZnO nanorods, National Symposium on Frontiers in Nanotechnology, 19th May 2012, Islamabad, Pakistan.
26. Q. Mahmood, A. Afzal et al. Sol-gel synthesis and characterization of phase-pure tetragonal ZrO2 nanoparticles, National Symposium on Frontiers in Nanotechnology, 19th May 2012, Islamabad, Pakistan.
25. A. Afzal* et al. The influence of epoxy functionalized silica nanoparticles on stress dispersion and crack resistance in epoxy-based hybrids, Materials Express, 2011: 1, 299.
24. T. Nazir, A. Afzal* et al. The influence of temperature and interface strength on microstructure and performance of sol-gel silica-epoxy nanocomposites, Polymer Bulletin, 2011: 67, 1539.
23. U. Latif, A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Dual and tetra electrode QCMs using imprinted polymers as receptors for ions and neutral analytes, Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2011: 400, 2507.
22. A. Afzal*, H.M. Siddiqi, A comprehensive study of the bicontinuous epoxy-silica hybrid polymers: I. Synthesis, characterization and glass transition, Polymer, 2011: 52, 1345.
21. A. Afzal et al. Core-shell gold nanoparticles and gold-decorated metal oxides for gas sensing applications, Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Workshop on Advances in Sensors and Interfaces, 2011: p. 125-128 (DOI: 10.1109/IWASI.2011.6004701).
20. A. Elia, C. Di Franco, A. Afzal et al. Advanced NOx sensors for mechatronic applications. In: Advances in Mechatronics, edited by H. Martinez-Alfaro, 2011: p. 247-270. InTech Open, Croatia (ISBN: 9789533073736).
19. A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Surface acoustic wave (SAW) sensors for chemical applications. In: Chemical Sensors: Comprehensive Sensor Technology, Vol. 4: Solid State Sensors, edited by G. Korotcenkov, 2011: p. 447-485. Momentum Press, New Jersey, USA (ISBN: 9781606502334).
18. M. Atta, H.M. Siddiqi, A. Afzal, A. Habib, Synthesis and characterization of epoxy-amine-titania composites using glycidoxypropyl-trimethoxysilane as a coupling agent, 10th International and 22nd National Chemistry Conference, 21-23 Nov 2011, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
17. A. Afzal et al. Synthesis and characterization of composite nanomaterials for NOx sensors, XXIV National Congress of the Italian Chemical Society, 11-16 Sep 2011, Lecce, Italy.
16. A. Afzal et al. Synthesis and characterization of novel nanomaterials for NOx sensors, 6th Conference on Analytical Sciences, 21-22 Feb 2011, Dublin, Ireland.
15. H.M. Siddiqi, T. Nazir, A. Afzal et al. Metal oxide/epoxy-amine hybrids: Synthesis, morphology and thermal properties, 9th International and 21st National Chemistry Conference, 7-9 Feb 2011, Karachi, Pakistan.
2010 and Earlier
14. A. Mujahid, A. Afzal et al. Imprinted sol-gel materials for monitoring degradation products in automotive oils by shear transverse wave, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2010: 675, 53.
13. T. Nazir, A. Afzal et al. Thermally and mechanically superior hybrid epoxy-silica polymer films via sol-gel method, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2010: 69, 100.
12. A. Afzal et al. Thermo-mechanical property benefits of chemically bonded interpenetrating epoxy-silica hybrid materials, Frontiers in Polymer Science, 7-9 Jun 2009, Mainz, Germany.
11. A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Imprinting – a nanotechnology for chemical sensors. In: Nanotechnological Applications of Novel Polymers, edited by M. Adeli, 2009: 37/661 (2). Transworld Research Network, Kerala, India (ISBN: 9788178954127).
10. P.A. Lieberzeit, K. Halikias, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Polymers imprinted with PAH mixtures – comparing fluorescence and QCM sensors, Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2008: 392, 1405.
9. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Bioanalogous recognition with sol-gel thin films and nanoparticles in harsh environments. MRS Symposium Proceedings, 2008: vol. 1094E, DD05-08 (DOI: 10.1557/PROC-1094-DD05-08).
8. A. Afzal et al. Detection of cells and viruses with mass-sensitive devices – applications of synthetic antibodies. In: Commercial and Pre-Commercial Cell Detection Technologies for Defense against Bioterror – Technology, Market and Society, edited by LM. Lechuga, FP. Milanovich, P. Skládal, O. Ignatov, 2008: 39/60-76. IOS Press, Amsterdam, Netherlands (ISBN: 9781586038588).
7. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Nanoparticles for detecting pollutants and degradation processes with mass-sensitive sensors, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2007: 127, 132.
6. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Molecularly imprinted sol-gel nanoparticles for mass-sensitive engine oil degradation sensing, Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2007: 389, 441.
5. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Printing materials in micro- and nano-scale systems for process control, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2007: 126, 153.
4. P.A. Lieberzeit, G. Glanzing, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Nano-strukturierte sensormaterialien für die Überwachung oxidativer Abbauprozesse in Motorenölen, Anakon, 27-30 Mar 2007, Jena, Germany.
3. P.A. Lieberzeit, A. Afzal et al. Nanoparticles for detecting pollutants and degradation processes with mass-sensitive sensors, 20th Eurosensors Conference, 17-20 Sep 2006, Goeteborg, Sweden.
2. P.A. Lieberzeit, G. Glanzing, A. Afzal, F.L. Dickert, Nanostrategies to monitor oil degradation, International Congress on Analytical Sciences, 25-30 Jun 2006, Moscow, Russia.
1. A. Afzal et al. Synthesis and characterization of epoxy-based interpenetrating organic-inorganic hybrid materials, 5th International and 15th National Chemistry Conference, 24-27 Nov 2004, Islamabad, Pakistan.